Public Policy and Legal Advocacy
Medicaid, the Affordable Care Act (ACA), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Social Security, Medicare and civil rights laws like the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) are lifelines for people with I/DD and their families, providing benefits, supports, and civil rights protections that help make community living possible.
In 2017, The Arc calls on all advocates to join us in reaching out to the President, Congress, Governors, and state legislators to educate them on the importance of these lifelines and to urge them to preserve – not cut -- these essential programs and civil rights laws.
These federal programs provide the key to community living and inclusion for people with I/DD across the nation. Now more than ever, we must join together as a collective movement to ensure that our lifeline programs and civil rights are protected.
On this page, you’ll find resources for education and advocacy: The Arc’s Lifeline Toolkit. Check back often, as we’ll be adding new tools throughout the year. And sign up for The Arc’s Disability Advocacy Network to stay informed and know when to take action when it counts!
Get Involved - Help Protect the Lifeline
- The Kaiser Family Foundation fact sheets provide a snapshot with key data for Medicaid in every state related to current coverage, access and financing.
- Families USA fact sheets outline what’s at stake in each state - for example, how many people stand to lose health insurance coverage if the Medicaid expansion is eliminated.
- The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities fact sheets and interactive slider show how much progress the states have made in covering their uninsured residents and how much would be lost if the ACA’s coverage expansions are eliminated.
- The State of the States in Developmental Disabilities State Profiles and Create a Chart provide longitudinal financial and programmatic trends in intellectual and developmental disabilities services (for example, the average daily cost of care in large state-operated institutions versus community settings).
- Letter from National Governors Association to House members regarding the ACA.
Other Policy Resources
ABLE Act Resources
Info Sheet (Long)
Info Sheet (Short)
National Policy Matters Publications
National Policy Matters - ABLE Act
Click here for detailed analyses of developments on important policy issues
Your help is critical. When you join our Disability Advocacy Network list, you'll get Action Alert emails and our Capitol Insider e-Newsletter.
Sign up for
For complete public policy news, visit our Capitol Insider blog.
The Capitol Insider
Tax – Michigan Opens ABLE Program
Wednesday, December 21, 2016 5:53:57 PM
Health Care – Congressional Leadership Developing Plan to Repeal the ACA in early January
Monday, December 19, 2016 5:48:24 PM
Budget & Appropriations – President Signs Bill Funding Government Through April
Monday, December 19, 2016 5:47:54 PM
Autism – Kevin and Avonte’s Law Passed by House, Stalls in Senate
Monday, December 19, 2016 5:47:33 PM
Education – ESSA Regulations on Assessments Finalized
Monday, December 19, 2016 5:47:05 PM
Tax – Oregon Opens ABLE Programs
Monday, December 19, 2016 5:46:36 PM
Employment – State Government Associations Release Report of Workforce Development for People with Disabilities
Monday, December 19, 2016 5:46:14 PM