The National Council of Self Advocates (NCSA)
The National Council of Self-Advocates or NCSA is the voice of self-advocates in all of The Arc’s work.
We look to:
- Engage self-advocates from diverse communities
- Help chapters support self-advocates
- Create opportunities for self-advocates to network and learn from one another
- Raise awareness about self-advocacy in NCSA member communities
We need you! Help us by:
- Sharing your expertise and furthering your knowledge on important self-advocacy topics
- Informing the work of The Arc’s national office and chapters by sharing how the programs being developed can support self-advocates
Contribute to the Council – Donate to support the establishment and sustainability of this essential new program specifically for self advocates. You can contribute to this important program even if you have not yet decided to become a member.
The Research and Training Center on Community Living (RTC) at The University of Minnesota and The Arc have partnered to support an innovative website specifically for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) to help them advocate for themselves and take charge of their lives. Self-Advocacy Online is a content rich, accessible online educational and networking tool developed by the RTC and promoted by The Arc.
Visitors to the site will discover multi-media lessons on a variety of topics such as living self-determined, healthy, contributing lives in their communities. The site includes a story wall of videos of self-advocates sharing their stories and a national listing of self-advocacy groups to connected people with I/DD both locally and nationally. One of many unique features of the site is the translation of research and other data-driven information into formats easily accessible to people with I/DD.
*Your membership in The Arc at the local, state, or national level allows you to join The National Council of Self Advocates for no additional cost.
As the nation’s leading advocate for all people with I/DD and their families, and the premier provider of the supports and services people want and need, we can help: