The Arc of Frederick County
Project Name: Leadership, Enrichment, Achievement Program (LEAP)
620-A Research Drive
Frederick, MD 21703
- An increase in the number of students who enroll in credit or enrichment classes at FCC;
- Identify components of interagency collaboration that support project duplication;
- An increase in the number of students participate who in, and fulfill the requirements of, educational courses of their choice;
- Students will increase social skills through participating in campus activities; and
- Students will identify and receive any necessary assistance from the community college and traditional FCC students.
The Leadership, Enrichment, Achievement Program (LEAP) at Frederick Community College (FCC) is a personal growth and enrichment class for transitioning students and youth with intellectual and developmental disabilities. LEAP is a collaborative project between The Arc of Frederick County, FCC, and Frederick County Public Schools. This course helps students develop positive habits and a proactive approach to life as they design personal mission statements, explore individual talents and gifts, and learn to apply their strengths and passions to the workforce, post secondary education, and adult world. The project expands this partnership to support students to enroll in credit and enrichment classes already offered on the college campus. The Arc and FCC is evaluating current courses offered on the college campus and working in collaboration to design customized courses that are accessible to students with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Traditional FCC students also participate in customized courses. Support is also offered to help transitioning students and youth to identify activities on the campus they would like to join and to build natural connections for students on the college campus.
Project outcomes will be shared with state and other funding sources as a way to demonstrate that opportunities of higher learning can be used as an alternative to segregated vocational training programs. Courses on the Frederick Community College campus provide opportunities for students to gain skills that they will use in career areas that are of interest to them. Social circles are broadened by meeting other students on the college campus who have similar interests and career goals.