The Arc Racing Program
Professional race team owner Don Istook and his wife Laurie share The Arc’s commitment to ensuring that people with I/DD have the opportunity to be fully included, especially when it comes to having employment opportunities. Two of Laurie’s brothers, Mark and Tyson Heitt, both were diagnosed with Fragile X, but that has not stopped them from working as an integral part of Don’s race team. Don and Laurie wanted to give other people with I/DD a taste of what it might be like to be part of a fast-paced race crew and came to The Arc with a unique idea to include individuals in the excitement of race day as the team moves from town to town to compete in the Pirelli World Challenge Series.
The Arc is excited to continue our partnership for a third year with RS Werkes (formerly Istook's Motorsports) to bring together the intellectual and developmental disability community and the racing world for the 25th Pirelli World Challenge Series. Twenty individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities, their support staff and staff from chapters of The Arc will attend select races to be honorary crew members in 2014, giving them a unique race day experience and helping to raise awareness of The Arc and I/DD among racing fans everywhere.
Follow The Arc Audi Racing Program as we take this exciting ride with Don and his team. The Arc will be posting updates from the races on Facebook, Twitter and our blog in the coming months. And you can see the races live online and on later broadcasts by NBC Sports (full broadcast schedule).
The Pirelli World Challenge, sanctioned by SCCA, is the premier race series of North America. For more information, go to www.world-challenge.com.
REVO Technik, STOPTECH Brakes, Forge Motorsports, Enkei Wheels, JRZ Shocks and MILLTEK Exhaust Systems
2014 Race Schedule
RS Werkes Team and The Arc Racing Program Participation to be determined soon – stay tuned!
- March 28-30 – Grand Prix of St. Petersburg (FL)
- April 11-13 – Grand Prix of Long Beach (CA)
- April 25-27 – Barber Motorsports Park (AL)
- May 16-18 – Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (Ont, CAN)
- May 30-June 1 – Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix (MI)
- May 30-June 1 – New Jersey Motorsports Park (NJ)
- June 19-21 – Road America (WI)
- July 18-20 – Honda Indy Toronto (Ont, CAN)
- August 1-3 – Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio (OH)
- August 22-24 – Sonoma Grand Prix (CA)
- August 30-31 – Brainerd International Raceway (MN)
- September 12-13 – Miller Motorsports Park (UT)