The Arc of Monmouth
Project Name: Keep Achieving (KACH) at Brookdale
(732) 493-1919 Ext.665
1158 Wayside Road
Asbury Park, NJ 07712
- Number of students who develop a career plan;
- Number of students who participate in job sampling activities;
- Number of students who participate in a volunteer experience;
- Number of students who obtain paid employment;
- Number of students who enroll in the program;
- Number of students who complete a brief autobiography and journal;
- Number of students who successfully complete Brookdale classes;
- Number of students who have identified employment of interest to them;
- Number of students who have developed short and long-term goals for residential options; and
- Number of students who have participated in an on-campus activity/organization.
The Arc of Monmouth has collaborated with Brookdale Community College to address the needs of transitioning young adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities ages 18 – 21 that have accepted their high school diploma and elected a college experience; and 21 - 26 year-olds who have graduated high school and would like to continue their education. The project provides a variety of classroom and experiential learning at the college and in the community over six college semesters during a three-year period.
The Arc of Monmouth and Brookdale Community College have identified five areas of need for transitioning students into the community: self-determination; employment or volunteer opportunities; post-secondary education and vocational training; and involvement in the community, including social and civic affairs. At the completion of their college experience, students should gain the skills and confidence necessary for them to succeed in their chosen paid or volunteer career field.