What The Arc Is Doing
The Arc participates in litigation in jurisdictions throughout the country in multiple ways, including as counsel, as a party, and as amicus. The Arc’s litigation work covers a wide range of issues pertaining to the rights of people with IDD in all aspects of life for the purpose of advancing the principles embodied in our organizational mission and position statements to promote and protect the civil and human rights of people with IDD and actively support their full inclusion and participation in the community throughout their lifetimes.
Learn more about current and past cases The Arc is and has been involved in.
Learn more about The Arc’s amicus work. Amicus briefs are submitted to the court by people and organizations who are not parties to the case itself, but who want to offer their expertise on the matters involved to assist the court in making a decision.
How You Can Help
SIGN UP FOR NEWS
Receive updates with the latest legal advocacy news.
See our cases, amicus briefs, publications, and more.
Help strengthen our legal advocacy work!
FIND LOCAL HELP
Find and connect with local resources and organizations.
VIEW OUR PUBLICATIONS
The Arc has contributed to several pieces related to disability legal advocacy.
Legal Advocacy Committee
The Arc’s Legal Advocacy Committee is appointed by the President of our Board of Directors and serves as an advisory council to inform The Arc’s expertise and help The Arc make decisions about litigation it participates in. Learn more about our current Committee members below.
- Jasmine Harris (Committee Chair) | Professor of Law | The University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School | Philadelphia, PA
- Michael Breeskin | Counsel, AdvocacyDenver Center for Special Education Law | Denver, CO
- Natalie Chin | Associate Professor of Clinical Law & Co-Director, Disability and Aging Justice Clinic | City University of New York School of Law | Long Island City, NY
- Lia Sifuentes Davis | Clinical Professor of Law and Director of Civil Rights Clinic, University of Texas at Austin School of Law | Austin, TX
- Ernest Galvan | Partner, Rosen Bien Galvan & Grunfeld LLP | San Francisco, CA
- Lisa Greenman | Attorney, Federal Death Penalty Resource Counsel | Washington, DC
- Thomas Judd | Attorney, Morrison Sund PLLC | Minneapolis, MN
- Stacy Kray | Partner | Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP | San Francisco, CA
- Guha Krishnamurthi | Associate Professor of Law, University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law
- Ruth Luckasson | Chair, Department of Special Education, University of New Mexico College of Education | Albuquerque, NM
- Lila Miller | Partner, Relman Colfax PLLC | Washington, DC
- Elizabeth Moran | Executive Director, The Arc Colorado | Denver, CO
- Jamelia Morgan | Professor of Law | Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law | Chicago, IL
- Katherine Perez | Visiting Professor of Law & Director, Loyola Law School Coelho Center for Disability Law, Policy, & Innovation | Los Angeles, CA
- Torin Togut | Attorney, Law Office of Torin D. Togut | Lawrenceville, GA